Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Week

It was a long week! Hubby got a call from his brother Saturday mid day that his mom had taken a turn for the worse and if he wanted to see her and say good bye, he better get up to NY fast. I went home from work early, the kids were being very slow, so when his brother called back again, Rich left with the 2 kids who said they had all their clothes packed and drove to NY in my car. He was able to spend a few hours with his mom before she died. I did not get out of the house for 3 hours after he left, as we had to pack clothes for the rest of the kids and since no one bothered to sort the laundry, it took a long time to find them warm clothes to pack. I got to NY at 1:30 am, without enough time to get to the nursing home and visit with MIL. She died around 2 am. So we are all in NY, exhausted, when his brother gets there on Monday after driving straight through from Florida. He lets us know the funeral will be on Friday at 2. Do we drive back to Virginia, and spend the next 2 days sorting clothes and getting out the winter stuff, or stay in NY for Thanksgiving and buy each one of us a nice looking outfit for the funeral and various items for the kids who forgot some items of clothing? I voted for staying in NY, as Rosalie is a terrible traveler and I did not want to spend any extra time in the car with her. We stayed with my parents for a few days, had a nice Thanksgiving dinner, then headed back to the Binghamton area Thursday evening, as the weather forecast was for freezing rain Friday morning in Herkimer. The boys were terrible during the viewing and funeral. I think they were bored, we had been inside or in the cars for several days, the weather was terrible, either rainy or very windy and cold. I was so glad to get home, early Saturday morning, so I could go to work. :)

No comments: